Saturday, March 17, 2012

I Quit! Taking Weekend Off and Watching Kids Rock RS

Friday night did not go well. I played around with the in-game lag adjustment with no success. At this point, there's no point in fooling with that. I'm burned out and need a break. Whether that means laying out completely or just moving on to some new material in RS I don't know. All I know is that last night I worked my way through some songs that I have mastered and could not even match my personal best on any of them. There's no way I'd be able to tell if any particular lag adjustment makes things better or worse on my set-up because I'm playing like crap. Around 2:30 this morning I unplugged in disgust and shut it down.

My son has reached his 4th Event, so this afternoon I kicked back with a video camera and watched him perform half a dozen songs at the Velvet Club. As I've mentioned, he approaches this whole thing with a different outlook - he shoots for qualifying songs for events and then jumps into event playing as soon as he has the minimum qualifying scores.

Today he played Unnatural Selection (a D-tuning), Well, OK Honey, Me and the Bean, Play with Fire, and - get this - Free Bird! Granted, Free Bird (single notes) was definitely the weak link in this set list (6870). But, he did alright. 108151 for the Event with a high score of 42614 on Me and the Bean. He unlocked the Epi LP Plus Top PRO/FX and has 1,366,046 RSP which puts him at Level 4, National Support Act. He does alright for an 11-year old kid. Strums way too hard and broke a pretty heavy pick today, but he'll get over that eventually.

After his Event, his sister wanted to have a go so she pulled out the L115 and played a few songs. She doesn't play much - music isn't really her big thing, but she is a great test case for what Rocksmith can do. She can get through Angela passably to a point where you recognize the song. Even if she never gets beyond Level 1, she is proof that just about anyone of any ability could plug a guitar into Rocksmith and have some fun playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment